Makeup Monday: July Favorites
July 22, 2013 § Leave a comment
July was really fun because I ran out of three beauty staples — meaning I got to try out three new products because I needed to, not just because I wanted to [which is only understandable from a money perspective]. And I must say that I am pretty impressed with the replacement items.
1. benefity they’re Real! Mascara: Now you know that I love L’Oreal Voluminous Mascara somethin’ fierce. I think that it is a steal that you can find that stuff in the drugstore. But I have heard people raving about they’re Real! for so long that I just had to try it out and see for myself. I truly believe mascara is one of the more personal makeup choices. Eyelashes are so different across the board. [That Maybelline Great Lash Mascara that has been winning beauty awards for years makes my eyelashes look like spider legs.] So I wasn’t sure if all the hype ensured that they’re Real! would look great on my particular set of lashes the way Voluminous has. But, so far, I must say it has been a very good experience. I’ve noticed several more lashes than normal and feel like I get good thickness as long as I apply a few coats. The wand is pretty ingenious as it has really well-defined bristles (resulting in less clumping). But then it also has this amazing little ball (think sand spur) tip, which helps you in the tighter areas, especially around the corner of the eyes. It was a brilliant move since Givenchy had figured out the whole sand spur brush, but hadn’t married it to the normal, straight bristled wand. Brilliant, brilliant, BRILLIANT I tell you! Genius I say! [Ten points to whoever recognizes that movie reference.] The only downside so far has been that it dries very quickly. So if you’re not moving swift enough, you might get stuck with a few clumped lashes that, no matter what you do, you cannot separate. And you end up looking like something is just… off in the eye department.
2. Boot’s Botanics Rosewater Toning Spritz: Remember that time that my favorite skin product, the Boot’s Botanics Rosewater Toner, was discontinued and they replaced it with a spritz? Yes, this is that time. As far as I can tell, it’s the same formula, it just is in spritz form now. And, let’s be honest. How many times in your life has something being a spritz been a bad thing? Not this time either. They tell you to spray generously, so I obey. And it is pretty awesome. It feels like when you’ve been at an amusement park for 10 hours in the burning hot sun and you walk through one of those mist stations… except you’re in your house and totally comfortable. So this is less a necessity and more a luxury bonus! My skin feels very rejuvenated. One thing I’m not sure of is how much cleansing is actually going on. So I will probably switch back and forth between spritzing and cotton swabbing. But spritzing will still be my happy place.
3. Revlon PhotoReady BB Cream in Light/Medium: I know, I know, I know. I am about two years late to the BB cream party. But you know what, I like being a little behind on trying trends. Then I only incorporate the ones that stick around and I get to try the best ones because everyone else has done the dirty work for me! I have tried several lately and am thinking about doing product reviews on each of them in the near future. But the one that I really like and moved forward with a purchase of is the Revlon version. This stuff is pretty fantastic. It isn’t as greasy and goopy as many of the others I’ve tried. It truly feels like it isn’t there after you put it on and it just boosts your complexion so nicely. I’m really in love with this stuff. Only downside? I’m worried that I bought it after getting a really nice tan. I mean just how long am I going to be able to wear the Light/Medium??? Oops.
4. Revlon Colorbust Lip Butter in Juicy Papaya: Now time for the fun stuff… lips! Y’all. Lip Butters are the best and you know this. But one of the newer colors in the collection, Juicy Papaya, is so nice. It’s a great coral with a little more tinge of pink than orange. It just brightens your whole face and is such a nice summery color. The usual awesome things about Lip Butters apply… soft, smooth application, buildable color and a nice hydrating feeling formula on your lips. Not many downsides here. I want to try all of them!
5. Maybelline Baby Lips in Cherry Me: So I’ve been on the hunt for a nice berry lip color lately. On the splurge end, I’ve been eying NARS Satin Lip Pencil in Luxembourg. But I didn’t realize that I’ve had this Baby Lips in my purse since last summer and it is an amazing berry lip that was essentially free to me! If you’re not familiar with Baby Lips, they are balms that are supposed to slowly heal dry and chapped lips, while providing a nice SPF 20 coverage. While they feel very hydrating, I haven’t really noticed a huge improvement in my lips from a dryness standpoint. But the color is really nice. In the case of Cherry Me, I have been most pleasantly surprised, especially at how the color can build, similar to the Lip Butters. I also have this in Peach Kiss and really love the nude color. My face doesn’t normally look right with nudes, so this was quite the feat!
What were some of your July favorites? I just got my Birchbox in the mail this weekend [seems really late, right?], so I will be doing a review real soon. Were any of your favorites in there? I’m excited to try the newest CC cream they included, as well as the 3-in-1 face treatment!