Makeup Monday: Favorite Non-Makeup Beauty Products
October 14, 2013 § Leave a comment
While this is supposed to be a makeup post, I kind of consider anything beauty-related fair game. So today I’m going to talk about non-makeup beauty products that have gotten me super excited lately.
As much fun as makeup can be, it’s kind of irrelevant if you don’t have the basics under control. These skincare products have been doing a great job of setting the stage, so to speak, for some makeup artistry to take place.
- Boot’s Botanics Organic Face Hydrating Day Cream: As you know, I love Boot’s Rosewater Toner and I’ve been looking for a good moisturizer, so I was really excited about this product. After using it for a couple of days, it’s a little thicker than I would prefer, but I really like the smell and the packaging. I’m on the fence if I’m going to keep it — but I think it would be great for someone with drier skin than mine. It’s pretty great for a drugstore option.
- StriVectin Eye Concentrate for Wrinkles: This eye cream came in my Birchbox a few months back and I have loved it! I feel like it just rejuvenates my eye area and gets rid of some of the puffiness. I don’t have a lot of wrinkles yet, but I like using this stuff in hopes it’s preventing more wrinkles down the road.
- Vaseline: This is my secret weapon. I hate the oiliness of most makeup removers, and the price tag associated with them. Lotion is a good alternative for eye makeup remover, but it often can sting your eyes. Vaseline has been the best answer for me! It’s cheap, lasts for-e-ver and is super gentle. The only downside is that it leaves eyes very oily and can result in makeup creasing. But if you pair it with a good eyeshadow primer, it isn’t a problem at all. This is by far one of the best secrets in my beauty arsenal.
- Boot’s Botanics Rosewater Toning Spritz: I’ve talked about this many a time before, but I still love this stuff. I wish Boot’s would come out with an entire Rosewater line because the smell is to die for. This stuff just leaves my face feeling so clean! And I have had way fewer breakouts since I started using it last year. This and the Vaseline are truly the best two drugstore products I have ever used. I doubt I will go to a name brand solution while these are in existence.
BATH & BODY
Unlike my fave beauty blogger, Essie Button, I am not a huge moisturizer. In my past, I have rarely used lotions. But as I’m starting to near my 30s, I realize that keeping my skin hydrated is important to prevent wrinkles, stretch marks and the like. So I’ve found a few products that make that process much more enjoyable to me.
- Trader Joe’s French Liquid Soap: This stuff is the bomb! The flavor is Orange Blossom Honey and it smells so. good. And the packaging is beautiful as well. A great addition to any sink area.
- Suave Aloe with Cucumber Lotion: I don’t know about you, but when I get a sunburn, aloe really doesn’t help me much. Sure, it cools me down for a few minutes, but I end up feeling sticky and dried out. My skin rarely recovers from the burn either. Well this Suave lotion is a game-changer. With aloe mixed into the lotion, it not only provides that cooling sensation, but when applied twice daily after a burn, both my husband and I have noticed that it usually restores the skin with rare occurrences of peeling. It’s really a miracle worker.
- EO Body Lotion in French Lavender: I received this lotion as a gift during a work retreat earlier this year. The smell is phenomenal. It is so calming that I have been reserving it for use before bed. Now that it’s part of my pre-sleep routine, I find myself wanting to use it all day. But saving it for bedtime makes it special. This mixed with melatonin puts you into a blissful sleepy state and makes the night time feel luxurious.
I rarely find haircare that’s worth spending a lot of money on. But this Birchbox find changed my mind.
- Beauty Protector Protect & Shampoo: This stuff. Y’all. It is amazing. I have very fine, thin hair that gets weighed down very easily. I have to fake volume by not brushing my hair before blow-drying and by lots of dry shampoo. But this product added volume to my hair without needing the dry shampoo and made my whole scalp feel clean and refreshed. When washing, it does take a good bit to get a good lather going, and it ends up feeling very very dry after rinsing. But as soon as you add conditioner, it feels incredibly soft and hydrated. I am sold and will now be purchasing the full size version – my first Birchbox purchase! I can’t recommend it enough.
Hope you enjoyed this non-makeup beauty post! Let me know some of your favorites!